Hours: 5 hours per week
Employment Type: Part-time, Freelance
Salary: $15.00 per hour
COVID-19 considerations: This is a remote part-time position.
We’re looking for an awesome paid part-time editor in Halifax, Nova Scotia who is passionate about student life, student living and great content.
This is the perfect opportunity for someone currently in school at Dal looking for real-world work experience at an online content publication that connects students at different campuses across Canada.
Ideally very familiar with Dalhousie campus life – you know all the ins and outs!
The role involves working with our team on the editorial plan to come up with ideas for new articles, coordinating with student writers to assign, edit and manage contributions, creating and inputting content on our website in WordPress. We anticipate the time commitment being 5-10 hours per week depending on the time of year.
This is an ideal position for someone with a background in journalism, the arts and any experience contributing to student publications (campus newspapers, online magazines, yearbooks, etc.) You love creating content and you have the social engagement online to show for it – people respond and connect to your posts. You have experience collaborating with others to produce great content, and you love seeing projects through to the finish line. You’re good at briefing others, and have experience building a team of student writers, contributors and/or other creative thinkers to make projects happen.
Editing & Writing
- Weekly and monthly editorial meetings to prioritize and ideate upcoming assignments.
- Help attract and build a team of paid student writers and contributors.
- Assign articles to student writers, edit their contributions and manage the calendar with updates to the team.
- Write blog posts and content for our new student lifestyle website and associated social profiles.
- Support the development and maintenance of our style guide and editorial standards.
- Input content in our WordPress website, including SEO and sourcing/attributing appropriate images.
- Use Slack, WordPress, CoSchedule, Asana, HubSpot, Google Docs and other management tools as required by our processes and procedures (full training provided).
- Must be able to legally work in Canada with a SIN.
- Education in a related field (journalism, marketing, creative writing, arts) with experience writing and editing for university-related publications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
- Independent and autonomous, resourceful, with initiative and strong troubleshooting skills.
- Great organizational skills, task-oriented and motivated.
- Desire to collaborate, learn and improve in a flexible work environment with a young, driven team.
- Asset: experience with photography, video editing, social media content production.